Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Horses and Dance.....




So, horses and dance. How do they possible fit together? It's called vaulting. This year, well, the end of 2009, I started modern dance. I love the movement and expression in dance, and I love to carry it to my vaulting. I've been wanting to dance for a long time and Im so happy to finally be doing it. I know that some of the people reading this are horsey people, and maybe even have some dressage experiance. This is another point where horses and dance truly combine.

Dressage is a combination of movements, flexibiliy, speeds, and turns for the horse. Hmmm, sounds kind of framiliar.... DANCE! Dressage is the horse's dance. I love the grace that flows into dressage, and the connection that makes the horse and rider one. When you pick up the piaffe and the rider simply floats on top of the horse, rather than bouncing, you see that the dance has started. And when the movement of the rider's hips create the fluttering tempi-changes, wow! Dressage and vaulting, the dance of the horse and rider - vaulting, the horse becomes the dancing partner. Dressage- the horse and rider become one dancer.

My goal in individual vaulting is to combine the dressage when I vault. To make the vaulter and the horse one partner, to flow, to connect, and to dance on the horse, but at the same with the horse. To introduce my vaulting horses to the music, and let them feel it as much as I do. This would truly be a beautiful thing, wouldn't it?

I love dressage, I love dance, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE vaulting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment